There are many reasons why female athletes are at a higher risk for ACL injury. Some contributing factors cannot be changed, such as:
- ACL size being smaller
- A smaller notch for the ACL
- Hormonal changes causing increased laxity during menstruation.
However, there are other risk factors that can be addressed, such as:
- Shoe wear
- Quadriceps vs hamstring strength
- Core control during dynamic activities
- Landing from jump with good form
- Strengthening the hip and core muscles
- …and many more
Any questions on how to decrease your risk for an ACL tear? Schedule an evaluation at JGPT today.