Many of you are working from home and it is important that you are sitting the correct way! Working hours at a time in the same position, your sitting posture could suffer. Here are a couple of tips to ensure you are sitting the right way.
- Make sure your chair is at the correct height for you. Your feet should be planted firmly on the ground and try to avoid crossing your legs
- Keep your knees level with your hips
- Make sure your back is supported by back of chair
- Sit up straight making sure your shoulders are not hunched forward or rounded
- Pay attention to your head position, make sure your head and chin are not sitting forward in front of your shoulders. A good tip is to keep your ears aligned with your shoulders!
- Make sure your computer is at eye level to prevent your neck from bending forward or backwards
Here are some exercises and stretches that will improve your posture!
Wall slides: start with your back against the wall, place your arms against the wall at a 90 degree angle, moving your arms up the wall slowly and then back down to the starting position. Repeat this motion 10x, repeat 3x
Child’s pose: start by sitting on your knees, slightly spread your knees apart and reach your arms out forward as far as you can. Hold this pose for a minute, repeat 3x
Scapular squeezes: start with arms by your side, squeeze your shoulder blades together and focus on pulling your chest open. Hold this for about 5 seconds and complete 10 reps, and repeat for a total of 3 rounds
Try these exercises at home and see how you feel. If you are feeling pain with any of these exercises stop them immediately and give us a call. We would love to get on the phone with you to see what we can do to help you.
Join us on March 18th, 2021 for our Back Pain, Work Pain Workshop. Our experts Aaron and John will be hosting an interaction workshop at our new Ponte Vedra Office! Call us today to sign up.